Help and information
Information in other languages
Information about the Inquiry is available in 17 different languages. You can also download this information as a PDF.
If you require any support relating to your immigration status or have welfare concerns, please contact the organisations below:
Red Cross Can provide urgent welfare assistance to refugees and asylum seekers, and victims of human trafficking.
Bail for Immigration Detainees Tel 020 7456 9750 (Mon – Thurs 10am – 12 midday) – Provides legal advice and representation to migrants detained in removal centres and prisons.
Migrant Help – Free Asylum Helpline 0808 8010 503 – Provides advice and help for migrants.
Medical Justice – Tel 0207 561 7498 – Offers independent medical advice and assessments to immigration detainees, and writes medico-legal reports and letters outlining significant medical concerns.
Gatwick Detainees Welfare Group Tel 01293 657070 – Offers support and friendship to detainees held at Gatwick IRC and their families.
Prison and Probation Ombudsman – Tel lo-call 0845 010 7938 (answerphone service) – Independent investigation of complaints from those in prison or held in immigration detention.
Samaritans – or Tel 116 123 freephone – Free listening support for those in need.
Some background information
Several independent reports have been published in recent years looking at immigration detention in general, the welfare of vulnerable persons in detention and the concerns at Brook House itself.
The Chair will consider these reports, to the extent that they provide background and context that she considers is relevant to the Inquiry terms of reference. We have included links to each of these below:
- Review into the Welfare in Detention of Vulnerable Persons – A report to the Home Office by Stephen Shaw (Janury 2016)
- Assessment of government progress in implementing the report on the welfare in detention of vulnerable persons – A follow up report to the Home Office by Stephen Shaw (July 2018)
- Independent Investigation into concerns about Brook House immigration removal centre – a report for the divisional chief executive of G4S Care and Justice and the main board of G4S Plc by Kate Lampard and Ed Marsden (November 2018)
- Home Affairs Select Committee Report on Immigration Detention (21 March 2019)
- Memorandum for the House of Commons Home Affairs Committee: Home Office’s management of its contract with G4S to run Brook House Immigration Removal Centre – published by the National Audit Office (July 2019)